- 1 1/2 lbs. Pillsbury® white cake mix
- 14 1/2 oz. water
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz. canola oil
- 3 1/4 lbs. Piña Colada White Chocolate Mousse (see recipe below)
- 24 oz. Toasted Coconut (see recipe below)
- 24 oz. crushed pineapple tidbits
- Myers Dark Rum in a spray bottle (see assembly instructions below)
- Pour half of the water into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and oil.
- Add the cake mix and whip for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides using a rubber spatula.
- While mixing, add the other half of the water gradually over 1 minute.
- Again, scrape down the sides using a rubber spatula.
- Mix with a hand mixer or kitchen mixer for 30 minutes at medium speed.
- Pre-grease a 10″ x 3″ cake pan with butter or nonstick spray and add the batter to the pan.
- Bake the cake in a convection oven that’s been pre-heated to 300° F, on a low fan setting, for 1 hr. and 5 mins. When the timer goes off, place a toothpick in the middle of cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow it to cool completely in the pan.
Piña Colada White Chocolate Mousse
- 16 oz. (1 can) Swiss Chalet white chocolate mousse
- 2 qt. heavy whipping cream
- Slowly add the cream to the chocolate mousse in a mixer.
- While adding, increase speed until all the cream is incorporated.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.
- 24 oz. shredded coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Place coconut on a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread out evenly, making sure not to pile the coconut too high.
- Place tray in oven and toast coconut until it is a light-to-medium brown. Rotate tray every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
Cake Assembly Instructions:
- Cut off the very top of cake to make it completely level. Slice the cake into 4 equal layers, each 1/2″ wide. Cut away all brown edges on the top, sides and bottom.
- Completely spray the top side of the first (or bottom) layer with Myers Rum.
- Evenly spread 8 oz. of chocolate mousse over the layer. (The mousse should be smooth.)
- Evenly spread 8 oz. of crushed pineapple over the mousse.
- Place the next, “plain” layer on top of the layer with mousse and pineapple.
- Start building the cake by repeating steps 3-6 with the remaining layers. Do not, however, add crushed pineapple to the last (or top) layer; apply only the sprayed rum.
- Frost the top and sides with 16 oz. of mousse. Cover the cake completely.
- Coat the top and sides with toasted coconut, leaving no bare spots.
- Slice cake into 8 equal pieces for serving.